11 February 2013

One-on-One: Bradley Fasthand and the Straightshooters



I fell in love with Bradley Fasthand's first record, Modern Day, when an e-mail appeared in my inbox back in June.  Written by a close family friend,  it contained a link to the album's Bandcamp page, along with two simple words: "must listen." 

Serene, ambient, and set at a slower pace, the melodies caught me almost immediately. I loved the use of piano, the arrangements, the riffs, the repetition-- and the 60's influence. But it was the lead singer's voice that really grabbed me-- a voice with a hopeful, nostalgic, but most importantly, realistic tone, spoke to me simply and defiantly saying, "this is just how it is." I wanted to hear more of his stories through song, and about the driving force and inspiration points behind each.

One song in particular, "First Love," caught me most-- so much so it appears on my first compilation, Romance Never Dies.  I couldn't help but ask him a few questions about the record!

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
BANDCAMP


 MF
Where are you from? How has this impacted your music?

Bradley Fasthand
I'm from Southern California- born and bred. If it influenced my music at all, I guess it would be that I have always yearned to see new places, and as a kid, just kind of wished I was from somewhere else. I think that idea and theme pops up in my songs a lot.
MF
What would recall to be your earliest musical memory?

BF
Probably listening to Live At Folsom Prison in my Dad's car. As a young kid, I listened to basically nothing but Johnny Cash. My dad was friends with him--  so his music was something that was always around. What is really striking about Johnny Cash in general (and Live At Folsom Prison in particular) is the amount of raw energy that comes from his sound and presence.




MF
When I heard your song "First Love," I fell in love-- so much so, it appears on my first compilation, Romance Never Dies. Can you talk a little about the song?  What was the driving force and inspiration behind it?

BF
When I started writing "First Love," I wanted it to reflect the feeling of young love-- and being in love for the first time. When you listen to it, it's a really simple song; doesn't have a lot of lyrics and it's very repetitive. I wanted to communicate the obsession and desperation that can come along with love too, especially that first love.

MF
You favorite song on your album Modern Day?

BF
I'm not sure… that's a tough one. I think it would be, "Shoes." Shoes was a song that I adapted from an old gospel tune-- and Johnny Cash was the first person I heard perform it actually. It was on one of his gospel records. I've also heard a version by Mahalia Jackson. I have always just been  struck by the words, and kind of how absurd the lyrics are.

MF

Where did you record the album and what was this process like for you? Do you have plans on recording a second album?


BF
I recorded most of the album at my Dad's house, with the exception of the piano, which was recorded on my Aunt's piano at her home. I usually start out with a bass line/vocal melody/chord progression and build a song from there.


In terms of a second album, I am actually demoing songs right now. I'm not sure if it will be a five to six song EP, or a full length, but I have plans to start recording very soon.



MF
Who makes up the band?
 
BF
Believe it or not, it's just me and my brother. On our album "Modern Day,"  (and actually in all of our music),  I write and record everything you hear-- everything except for the drums, which my brother plays.   My friend Dylan Jennings is a great saxophone player and also played on a few tracks. When we perform live, some of our  buddies play with us as well. It's kind of a rotating cast!

MF
Why do you call yourselves Bradley Fasthand and the Straightshooters?
BF
Believe it or not, the name is something that I came up with before I started this project, and just kept it in the back of my mind. I just liked the sound of it.  People sometimes ask if its a euphemism for masturbation. It isn't.

 
MF
If you could cover any song, what would you choose and why?

BF
I actually did a cover of Tonight You Belong To Me (that song from The Jerk w/ Steve Martin) on Soundcloud. I learned how to play ukelele just so I could cover it.


MF
If you could put a band together comprised of any musicians, dead or alive, who would you pick to play what and why?
BF
The Roots- they'd be my backing band.

MF
What do you draw your inspiration from?
BF
People watching, reality television, improv comedy, soul music, short stories, technology, roots music (not The Roots' music)

MF
First concert you ever attended:
BF
Johnny Cash

MF
8 songs you couldn't live without?

BF
1. Rock And Roll Suicide - David Bowie
2. Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
3. Mother - John Lennon
4. These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding
5. My Favorite Things -  John Coltrane
6. Untitled (How Does It Feel?) - D'Angelo
7. Naive Melody - Talking Heads
8. Sunday Morning - Velvet Underground

MF
Three albums that changed your life:

BF
1. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust: David Bowie
2. Otis Blue: Otis Redding
3. Illinoise: Sufjan Stevens

MF
What would you say is the best scene from a movie?

BF :

 

MF
Your idols?

BF
David Bowie, Otis Redding, Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Steve Martin, Henry Rollins


MF
Your ultimate goal?

BF
To keep making good records, and of course, to tour.



No comments: