12 December 2012

One-On-One: Kent Odessa



Very recently, I discovered the magic that is Kent Odessa and fell in infectious love. And after watching his recently released video for his single "Bo Jacksons," I mean, who wouldn't?

The song? Brilliant. Catchy and sexy, with an 80's meets modern electronic beat and vibe, I couldn't help but dance in my seat. The video? Perhaps tripled the excitement factor as I listened to the song!  Filmed in Brooklyn (where he is based), the whole thing is Kent's version of Flashdance-- with a hilarious start and killer ending. Without revealing too much, it gives viewers a specific impression of his humor and style: uncanny, unique, and extravagant.  In other words, if you don't watch this video, you are severely missing out.


 Doing a bit of research after that, I learned that the solo artist had only one album to date! Titled "Silverdome," the entire album is full of happy feel-good dance gems that will brighten any party or walk to work.  "Honeymoon," stands as my next favorite song-- with a swingy beat that will make you smile.

That said, after listening the song and video at least a hundred times, I had to reach out to him to ask more about his body of work, future plans, and of course, his humor and views on life.

Twitter: @Kent_Odessa



MF
Who makes up the band Kent Odessa?

Kent Odessa
The studio band is technically just myself, although I've been fortunate enough to work with some really talented co-producers and collaborators like Hays Holladay and Jeremy Cox, who have contributed beats and have been instrumental in helping to flush out whatever sound I'm going for. 
I'm also lucky to have a phenomenal live band: Jason Paul on bass, Sky Riggs on synths, and Celeste Cruz and Mikal Evans on backing vocals. 

 MF
What inspires your music?

KO
Mostly when I have some sort of choked-up feeling that I have no explanation or solution for, I know it's time to sit down and write a song.


MF
What is your songwriting process like?

KO

Find a problem in my life, come up with a great beat, and let the words appear. Garnish them with a luxurious bass line, some lush synths, and hypnotic percussion. Done. 

MF
What instruments can you play?

KO
Bass, guitar, and keys.
MF
Where were you raised and how did this affect your upbringing?

 KO
I was raised in suburban Detroit... and I went to Catholic school from ages six through thirteen. I think this probably had a lot to do with me idolizing more irreverent and hyper-sexualized figures like Madonna and Prince. I remember a lot of my friends' moms were always trash talking Madonna, calling her a slut and such, and from a very young age I just wanted to be a part of whatever was the antithesis to their world. 

MF
The first song you ever wrote was _________________.

KO
The first legitimate song was "Honeymoon," (the last song on "Silverdome") which I wrote with my good friend Luke Julius in 2006. 




MF
Bo Jacksons is an amazing video! How did you come up for the concept?

KO
The idea of a dance contest hit me when I first listened to the final mix. And I thought it would be great to play a bitchy, Simon Cowell-type judge who challenges the leading lady to a dance-off. It just made sense with the feel and rhythm of the song. 



MF
What would YOU SAY the song Bo Jacksons is "about?"

KO
Lyrically, the verses are about a total disgust with Right Wing political extremists. The choruses are pretty much about how happy I was to have found a limited reissue of my favorite childhood sneakers.  





MF
If you could meet any musician, past or present, who would it be and why?

KO
I would love to have a couple beers with both Leonard Cohen and Kris Kristofferson and ask them how they currently feel about 'true love'. 


MF
If you could have any musician cover any of your songs, what would it be, and who would sing it? And... of course, why?

KO
I wish that Eddi Front would cover one of the more bitter love songs, like "Spineless" or "Candy's Offer," because she has such a gorgeous voice and breathy delivery, and everyone (and I mean everyone) that sees her live instantly falls in love with her. I think she could bring out an unpredictable, meditative side to those songs. 




MF
Your last album, Silverdome, was released in 2011-- any plans on recording and releasing another one in the future?


KO
I'm currently working on a bunch of duets with one of my backing singers, Celeste Cruz. Hopefully we'll have some recordings ready for January/February. I'm also grooming another full-length album that I'd love to release at the end of 2013. Right now I'm still pretty hooked on making music videos, though. I have a couple more in the works for some of the key tracks off "Silverdome."





MF
Favorite song from Silverdome:
"Paper Route."

 KO
Song that you think people may overlook:
Definitely "Paper Route."



 

MF
A song you'd like to cover and why:

KO
"Don't Wanna Live Inside Myself" by The Bee Gees. Totally forgotten, heartbreaking ballad that they wrote before they went disco.

MF

Your favorite spots in NYC:

KO
The Museum of the Moving Image. Chinatown, Midtown, and the Financial District after 10 pm.







MF

Your hero: 

KO
Anton Chekhov




MF
Eight songs you couldn't live without:

KO
"Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie. 
"The Beautiful Ones" by Prince. 
"You're a Big Girl Now" by Bob Dylan. 
"Eyes Without a Face" by Billy Idol. 
"The Warmth of the Sun" by The Beach Boys. 
"Levon" by Elton John. 
"Father Figure" by George Michael. 
"Angels of Ashes" by Scott Walker. 


MF
The first album you ever purchased:

KO
Nirvana's "Nevermind." 




MF
The BEST music video of all time is:

KO
Definitely "Thriller." Followed by "Estranged" by Guns N' Roses or "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak. 



MF
The last think you drank:


KO
English Breakfast tea
 



MF
Favorite films:


KO
"Beetlejuice," "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," and "The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant."




Best scene from a film is:
Definitely this one.


I never leave home without my ______________
...sense of self-deprecation. 

No comments: