05 April 2012

New Music: Interview with Nick of Die Jungen



Having always a love for browsing the Bandcamp website, I discovered the British experimental band Die Jungen by chance, late at night just about a year ago. I was sleepy, and was looking for some new tunes to put me to sleep. I remember stumbling upon the band's site, hitting the play button, and, being hit with a wave of familiarity,  thinking-- "I know those sounds!"  I had totally heard something about the track before, and the song's ominous low-fi vocals provided a sort of comfort. And I knew I had found what I was looking for. 

As most people know, the bulk of my music appreciation lies in the 50's and 60's. As I continued to listen to Die Jungen's tracks, I realized the songs I had been listening to were actually mixed in with numerous instrumentals from recognizable songs from the 60's.   I then noticed a single on their site, a Bo Diddly cover of "I'm Sorry." I was intrigued by the band's entire venture, as I soon also learned that the band consisted of only one person, Klaus von Barrel ("Nick"). And so, I followed the band's development ever since.

Nick's newest album, At Breath's End,  has proved to me to be by far the best--- a well rounded display of his impeccable skill for taking old sounds and appropriating them into beautiful original songs.

I reached out to Nick a few weeks ago to ask a few questions to learn more about the venture, the music, and his process! 

MF:
How did you start writing music? What instruments do you play?

NICK: 
I first started playing when I got a guitar for my 13th birthday, since then i've got into play other things like, bass, keyboards, synthesizers etc. but the guitar is still my main instrument.  I first started writing my own music when i was 17/18.


MF:
Your earliest  memory with a musical instrument?

NICK: 
Oh I'm not sure, maybe when I played a mini keyboard when I was around 3 or something.


MF:
Three albums that impacted your life:



NICK:

Love - Forever Changes
Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain


MF:
Three songs you couldn't live without:

NICK:

Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby
Johnny Ace - Pledging My Love
Velvet Underground - Rock & Roll



MF:
What sorts of things do you draw inspiration from in your work (could be anything - from other musicians to themes, objects, relationships, etc..)

NICK:
Obviously lots of musicians and artists from the past and present. I'm also inspired by all the places i've visited (and the ones i haven't). My girlfriend Kat is also a big inspiration on me.  

MF:
Favorite city to tour:

NICK:
Its too hard to choose just one, but i recently enjoyed going to Budapest, Lyon and Brussels all for the first time earlier this year.

MF:
Can you talk a little about your songwriting process? Do you write the lyrics before or after you write the music?

NICK:
With Die Jungen, I start by finding the sample I want to use and manipulate the speed and pitch until i find something I like. I then begin to work out vocal melodies and guitar or keyboard parts over it. I end by writing the lyrics to my melody.

MF:
I noticed that you have used old doo-wop and garage rock and appropriated them into backing tracks in your music. I think this is super super rad, because I love discovering obscure, hard to find, music from that time.  Is there a significance to the songs the that you choose to use? How do you go about finding and selecting these tracks?

NICK:
I found them all from my own music collection. I had wanted to make music that sounded authentically like those records for a while but couldn't replicate it and so I realised the best way would be to use samples of those records instead!

MF:
Can you talk a little about everyone involved with your band, its development, etc?

NICK:
At the moment, Die Jungen is just me. I started the project in February 2011 by recording the EP '$' over the course of a weekend and followed it up by recording my tracks throughout the rest of 2011.

MF:
Favorite place in the whole world (and maybe a picture you have or have taken of it)"

NICK:
I don't think I have a particular favourite place in the whole world... maybe I just haven't found it yet!




MF:
Favorite object of yours (and maybe a picture of have of it): 

NICK:
Hmm I cant say I have a favourite object either, but for this I'll say my guitar (aka 'Audrey'). 

You can listen to the new album here:






No comments: